This lovely lunes I would like to introduce you to a very easy Italian appetizer. I got this idea from my aunt, who served a similar recipe when I was visiting her a few months ago, although I have tweaked the ingredients a bit. She used balsamic vinegar, which I have omitted, since my husband is not a fan, and why am I going to buy a huge bottle of it if I’m the only one using it? Yeah, not happening.
Easy Tomato Salad – inspired by Aunt Anne
14-15 cherry tomatoes, sliced (I actually used a roma-juliet hybrid that I grew myself, but cherry is the closest in size to what I used.)
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil, to taste
4 string cheese sticks (low-fat mozzarella), sliced into rounds
Handful of fresh basil leaves or basil paste in a tube (I used the latter….Gourmet Gardens Basil, which I LOVE)
- Arrange tomato slices onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on them to taste.
- Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes, also to taste. Be careful with that big ol’ bottle, or you’ll have a lot more than you wanted on there! Not that I know from experience, or anything…
- Place string cheese rounds on each tomato slice.
- Either tear pieces of basil and place on the cheese or squeeze a little dab of basil paste onto the cheese.
Enjoy your easy masterpiece! You can always use bigger tomatoes, but I like the cherry ones because they are easy for little fingers to pick up, plus my tomato plant has been a master procreater, and I’ve had to get creative in my uses of its crop. Woman can only have so much tomato soup, you know what I mean?